Aweek or two before your surgery, you will come to my plastic surgery facility in Toronto for a pre-surgery meeting. I will take preoperative “before” photos, send you for any tests you might need, and talk to you in detail about your surgery. This is your opportunity to ask any questions you still have.
Before you have your surgery, you will also be asked to follow the following preoperative guidelines.I will go over the list with you to make sure you understand them. By following the guidelines, you will ensure that your body is in the best possible condition for surgery, which will minimize risks and complications – and help with a speedy recovery.
- To minimize bleeding and bruising, avoid aspirin, Advil, Entrophen, ASA, 222s, Naprosyn, Vioxx and other anti-inflammatories for three weeks before surgery. Tylenol is okay to use if needed.
- Stop smoking, or cut down as much as you can before your surgery. The longer something takes to heal, the more noticeable the scar will be. Because nicotine slows healing, it results in increased scar formation. As a general rule, smokers tend to have more noticeable scarring after plastic surgery. Please note that I will generally not perform facial procedures on smokers because of the increased risk of scarring.
- Eat a healthy diet to get your body in optimum shape for surgery.
- Stop taking any supplements or naturopathic or homeopathic medications two weeks before surgery.
On the night before and the morning of your surgery, take a shower and wash thoroughly with regular soap.
Don't eat anything after midnight on the night before your surgery.
- Make sure you have a responsible adult who is available to pick you up after your surgery and can stay with you for 24 hours as your anesthesia wears off.
- If you are having breast surgery, make sure you bring clothing that you don't have to pull over your head; button-up shirts and cardigans work best.
This checklist offers general information for all the plastic surgeries I perform. You will receive more detailed preoperative guidelines for your specific procedure at your pre-surgery appointment.
By following my pre-surgery guidelines, you can greatly reduce the risk of complications and promote better surgical results.
I have multiple years' experience performing liposuction, tummy tuck and breast augmentation, and I strive to deliver outstanding aesthetic results in the safest, most comfortable manner possible. I also offer facial rejuvenation and beautification procedures. Over the course of my career, I have helped many facelift and rhinoplasty patients realize their dreams of lovely facial profiles.